What is a Claddagh Ring?
A Claddagh is a symbol of love and friendship that is usually associated with Celtic culture. Discover what they mean and why so many love this style ring.
Common Meanings Associated with Claddagh Rings and Jewelry
- Love: Engagement or romance in general
- Promise: Commitment to a relationship or purpose
- Friendship: To represent a close bond
- Irish lineage: To honor one's heritage
- For men: Claddagh rings for men are often weightier and have more heft. The Claddagh symbol is generally sculpted, however it may be engraved on the ring rather than expressed in the shape.
- Special details: There are a number of ways you can make a Claddagh special. Diamonds or gemstones are a lovely way to personalize a design. Adding a birthstone to the ring is a lovely way to customize the style. Symbols are also sometimes incorporated into a Claddagh design, such as an infinity knot.
- Fenian: This is a historical style that does not feature a crown on top of the heart. The lack of a crown indicates a Fenian Claddagh, a design from the 1800s calling for the liberation of Ireland from England. This style is not quite as popular are the traditional crowned Claddagh and may be harder to find.
Celebrate and Share
Whatever meaning you choose to put behind your Claddagh, you'll find a variety of choices at Zales. Available as traditional rings, Claddagh pendants, earrings, bracelets and charms are also great options for the one you love.
Shop the entire selection of Claddagh designs online at Zales.com, or visit your local Zales store and talk to an expert jewelry consultant.